Sunday, January 31, 2016

2016-01 Book shelf system

It's been on my todo list for a while and books are getting out of control. I have the time over the hols for a big project so here it is.
I really like lundia but I can find it as thin and tall as I want.
I like another particular  type of shelf that has adjustable shelves using an easily available fitting.
I decided to combine the top-bottom shelf lock the uprights idea of lundia with the adjustable shelves.
I also decided to abandon the need for them to be unattached to the wall. They will be too high and thin to stay upright by themselves.

 I added a fixed shelf in the middle as I thought the uprights might bow outward if books were forced in then the shelves would drop off their brackets.


Lots of holes to drill. Measuring and drilling them so that they are right on and clean took the longest time by far. Over 10 hours at a guess. This a unit frame. I was thinking I might need a X brace and had planned to use wire and turnbuckles. This was just needed to keep the frames intact while handling them into place and  screwing them to the wall.
They were more then stable enough to handle so I did dropped that.



Screwing the frame to the wall. That's a complete one to the right of the window.

With the shelves clipped in. And a double wide set for the bigger stuff.

No comments: